Saturday, November 20, 2010

Being a Victim

I'm drawn today to explore the state of victimhood. The word is defined as: The state or perception of being a victim. I find that very interesting, especially the second bit here... "perception of being a victim". I do not wish to disrespect true victims of whatever crime, situation or the like. Instead, I want to focus on the "perception" part. How often have you experienced this state of victimhood, the perception that you are a victim of something or other? I don't know about you, but I can freely say that I've spent a part of my life living in that state. In the perception of being a victim. It had its draw for me, it totally fit into my need for drama. It perpetuated drama just fine. I took it on and it fit me like a glove. Being a victim was fine, I was helpless, it wasn't my fault and it wasn't therefore my responsibility to take on. Swell ! Really fine thing this state of victimhood !

I want to go explore this state a bit closer now that a while back I've decided to step out of it, to bid it farewell. It's great to call it my experience in this life, I do feel somewhat of an expert around this stuff. Well, so it goes, victimhood, hmmm.... yes, again that helplessness, that needing to be saved, that neediness for sympathy, the whole shebang - it's all there, but what is at the opposite end ? I cannot properly know something without knowing it's polar opposite, now can I ?. Well, the internet journey through google and thesaurus ddn't yield exactly a fitting antonym. I have to come up with one on my own. For me, the antonym would be power. The feeling of being a victim implies to be powerless against a situation or person. In my understanding of polarity, the energy of being powerless is the same energy that allows one to be powerful. 


If someone finds themselves in a perceived state of victimhood, they also carry, inherently, the energy of being powerful. It is thus given that each person suffering from the delusion (the perception) of being a victim without being one, has in their bag enough power to shift this around - to step into their own power, to step out of  this fictive state of victimhood, that looks so real when one is in it. What is needed is to call the bluff within you. To step out of the powerless state that offers you so many excuses and mosy on over to the other end of the teeter totter - there lies your power, there it is, just within reach. It's yours to claim and it comes with a whole lot of responsibility, first of all, to never fall prey again to the illusion of being a victim when you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment